This week we finally got Android M Developer Preview 2, and OnePlus finally put a merciful end to their spec trollout for the OnePlus 2. The M Preview 2 is full of minor user-facing changes for the most part, but Google at least fixed the wonky app drawer. On the other hand, OnePlus is still posting stupid promo videos on Youtube with no substance. We’re also getting close to the end of the ASUS Zenfone 2 giveaway sponsored by Shane and I. The contest winner will be announced Monday July 13 around 6 PM Arizona time, check out the video if you haven’t entered yet! Let’s jump into the summary, I’ll be back with more thoughts after the break.
- LG G Pro 3 Specs Leak- LG has long been rumored to release a second device with flagship specs in 2015. The G4 just wrapped up an international launch and now we’ve began seeing some leaks for the LG flagship phablet, the G Pro 3. The device is expected to pack a 6″ QHD display, Snapdragon 820, and 4 GB of RAM. We expect the device to compete with the Note 5 and iPhone 6S+ later this fall.
- OnePlus leaked more OnePlus 2 specs- We found out the OnePlus 2 will cost less than $450. What that means specifically, no one really knows. I assume OnePlus isn’t stupid enough to say the phone will cost less than $450 and then launch at $449.99. On the other hand, OnePlus has taken part in some incredibly ridiculous marketing stunts. OnePlus also revealed that the OnePlus 2 will have 4GB of RAM, a reasonable spec, but we could have predicted 3 or 4 GB of RAM. Most exciting was the announcement that OnePlus would not reveal any further tidbits until the official unveil on July 27. I’ll be glad to finally see some hardware in two weeks from OnePlus, I’m not all about this HYPE, or whatever.
- Instagram bringing 1080p pictures to Android- Instagram announced this week that 1080p photos are coming to iOS and Android this week. This is great news, Instagram’s previous 640×640 limit really crippled the amazing ability of modern day smartphone cameras. We don’t know exactly when the improvements will roll out, but my photos have looked a bit crispier this week!
- Lots of Galaxy Note 5 Leaks- SamMobile reported this week that the Note 5 will likely not come with a MicroSD slot. There are also several signs pointing to no removable battery in the Note 5, namely the use of the S6 design language on the Note series. We also now expect the Note 5 may launch sooner than IFA. The Wall Street Journal reported that Samsung is looking to release the Note 5 in August to avoid competing with the iPhone 6S launch. It looks like we’ll be hearing more and more about the Note 5 in the next few weeks!
- HTC Vive is going on tour- HTC and Valve teamed up back at MWC to announce their Vive Virtual reality headset. The headset looks to offer a true all-in-one VR experience and HTC is now taking it on the road for demos. The Vive unit is on display live at San Diego ComicCon this weekend, with more cities to follow after. If you want to try out Vive yourself, the official cities and dates can be found here.
- Xiaomi MI5 Plus Specs leak at TENAA- The Chinese smartphone market is getting red hot, and the Xiaomi MI5 is one of the most anticipated upcoming Chinese flagships. This week the phone passed through TENAA, China’s version of the FCC. The listing revealed the Snapdragon 820 processor, 4 GB of RAM, a 5.7″ QHD display, 64GB of storage, and a 3500 mAh battery. These specs are pretty similar to the G Pro 3 specs I listed earlier, but the MI5 will likely cost less. It will be interesting to see if the MI5 is the first Xiamoi beast flagship to make it to the US.
- Android M Developer Preview 2- Google promised a few updates to the M developer preview before the official release later this fall. This week we got the first of those updates, with a lot of API changes and other back-end changes for developers. The second iteration of the M Preview does add a dedicated tab for memory usage, Google Now On-Tap is now available to select, and the Storage and USB tab gives you a cleaner look at the space remaining on your device. I definitely recommend checking out Preview 2, especially if you are already on M Preview 1. Check out Shane’s video for a quick rundown of the new features in M Preview 2.
- Moto X Sport coming?- Shane showed us a leak that suggests Motorola might release a Sport version of the Moto X to compete with Galaxy S6 Active. The leak was short on details about how rugged the device is but we will definitely keep an eye out for more rumors on this device!
- More Huawei Nexus Rumors- It seems the Huawei Nexus is a real thing, especially considering we now have heard 5+ sources confirm its existence. There will likely be a smaller Nexus device made by LG as well. Both Nexus devices will release later this year.
The release calendar has been fairly quiet the last 6 weeks, but numerous devices are expected to release in August and September. OnePlus will unveil the OnePlus 2 on July 27, Motorola will announce the Moto X soon, and the Note 5 will be announced by September at the latest. I’m currently looking for my next device to review, if you want to cast your vote, the poll can be found on my new site: Dope Tech Daily. We should see more leaks from Samsung and Motorola in the upcoming week, and I’m sure OnePlus will continue to test my patience with the OnePlus 2 hype. I hope everyone has a great week full of Android excellence, see you next week for another summary!
HighOnAndroid Facebook Page <--- If you like this post, please Like Our Facebook Page Here, thx!Want to contact me?
Add me on: