It was a HUGE week in Android-we got big announcements from OnePlus, Motorola, and an official invite from Samsung for an August 13 event. Due to the sheer volume of news, we’re going to mix up the format this week. Below you will find the links to all the big stories we covered in the last week. I’ll chime in with some thoughts in a few bullet points after the break!
- Note 5 leak showed off software and the new S-Pen silo
- We found out OnePlus is bumping you down the invite list if you don’t share
- Samsung sent out official invites for August 13 unveiling of Note 5 and S6 Edge+
- OnePlus officially unveiled the OnePlus 2 in a pretty disappointing VR experience
- Shane gave us a nice overview of the Styleswap covers for the OnePlus 2
- Motorola introduced three new phones-Moto Play, Moto Style (Pure edition), and the new Moto G
- Second generation Moto 360 stopped by the FCC
- LG Nexus 2015 backside allegedly leaked by Onleaks
- BLU announced three new budget phones
- OnePlus 2 received the tear-down treatment in China
- Shane took a quick look at 5 Reasons to NOT buy the OnePlus 2 on his Youtube Channel
- Android M Preview 3 was delayed
- Galaxy Note 5 and S6 Edge+ renders leaked by Evan Blass
- Galaxy Note 5 specs leaked by Evan Blass
- Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge may see a price cut amid competitive flagship market
- ZTE Axon Pro is now available in the US for $449
Whew…what a week! Here are some random thoughts on everything that went down:
- The Note 5 looks great, but the news of no SD card is incredibly disappointing. Guess we need to fork over $100 or more to upgrade our storage this year.
- OnePlus invite process is just as annoying to me this year as it was last year. Their “reservation list” is a joke, I’ve fallen to 64,920 from about 20,000 when I signed up.
- The OnePlus 2 hardware itself is a good value for $389, but missing NFC, Quickcharge, and Qi wireless charging are big omissions for me.
- Did I mention that the OnePlus 2 doesn’t really have USB Type-C? Sure, it has the port, but no fast-charge capability or quick data transfer. This is a result of using USB 2.1 instead of 3.0.
- I really think Motorola event was the most exciting thing going down this past week.
- Motorola brought it, amazing specs, improved camera, and still a great price.
- I just wish we didn’t have this confusion over the Moto Style vs. Moto Pure Edition BS.
- The Moto G is probably the best value in Android right now. Mine is coming this week…I’ll have an unboxing and impressions vid on my Youtube channel.
- Overall, I’m just disappointed I have to wait until September to get my hands on the Motorola flagship!
- Samsung’s event should be huge. Note 5, S6 Edge+, and most likely the Gear A smartwatch.
- It was a bit disappointing the 2nd generation Moto 360 didn’t appear at the Motorola event…but hopefully the FCC filing means we aren’t waiting too long.
- I’m actually glad the M Preview 3 was delayed. I’d rather have a mostly complete version than a 3rd preview with a bunch of bugs.
- The Axon Pro is a great looking phone. I’ve ordered one and will have an unboxing and review here and on my channel soon.
- Samsung is smart to cut the price of the S6 and S6 Edge, especially with the iPhone 6S launch coming very soon…
That’s about it for this weeks folks. I’ll be back next week to summarize all the Android news you love. Be sure to check back all week for news on the Note 5, S6 Edge+, and 2015 Nexus phones!
HighOnAndroid Facebook Page <--- If you like this post, please Like Our Facebook Page Here, thx!Want to contact me?
Add me on: