Things settled down a bit this week after the hype from huge announcements from Motorola and OnePlus died down a bit. That doesn’t mean there isn’t a lot of great Android stuff left in August! We now sit only 4 days away from the Samsung Unpacked event on August 13 in New York City. At the event we expect Samsung to unveil the Galaxy Note 5, S6 Edge+, perhaps a tablet with an edge design, and maybe even their round Gear A smartwatch. In addition to the big Samsung event, OnePlus will officially begin sales of the OnePlus 2 on August 11. Of course the small caveat is that you need the ever-important invite to actually purchase the OnePlus 2. The giant annual tradeshow IFA is also inching ever closer, held in Berlin, Germany on September 2 this year. Samsung is typically the star player at this event but other companies will need to step up this year. This past week we saw some leaks suggesting Sony and Huawei may have some big announcements for us at IFA. Let’s take a quick look at all the big news we covered this week, stay tuned for some more quick thoughts after the break:
- Sony announced the Xperia M5 and C5 Ultra, two intriguing “super mid-range” options.
- A hilarious video popped up online that shows that Apple fans love iOS even when it’s Android.
- OnePlus co-founder Carl Pei mentioned that OnePlus will release another phone this year.
- New Note 5 pictures surfaced showing a customizable app slot in the Air Command menu.
- Several reported specs leaked out for both the Huawei Nexus and LG Nexus devices.
- Onleaks posted a video showing a prototype of the Huawei Nexus in-hand.
- Leaked Xperia Z5 and Z5 Compact images suggest Sony may unveil them at IFA.
- Snapdragon 820 details leaked out, looks like an awesome processor, likely not launching til 2016.
- Shane gave us a quick tutorial on how to guard yourself against the Stagefright vulnerability.
- Costco’s internal listing shows preparation to sell Verizon Droid Turbo 2.
- Verizon is changing their data plane structure and eliminating two year contracts!
- Huawei Ascend Mate 2 images leaked, might be unveiled at IFA on September 2.
- Samsung is testing a massive 18.4″ tablet in Korea.
- I took a quick look at the ZTE Axon Pro in my unboxing and impressions video (see below).
Definitely an interesting week in Android. There is still a lot to come this month and a lot I’m excited about. I’m currently using and enjoying the ZTE Axon Pro. Definitely check out my unboxing and impressions video:
Join the HighOnAndroid VIP Fans List for free help from Max and discounts on Android accessories.