Someone pointed out to me this past week that Sunday Summary is a bad name for this weekly article. I’m not actually summarizing things that happened only on Sunday, so I decided to give a new title a go. I think weekly wrap is more appropriate, and it’s still alliterative so it works for me. Let me know how you like the new name in the comments or on Twitter! Now let’s go do this baby!
This week we had the huge Samsung Unpacked event in New York. There weren’t many surprises on the new phone front, but we did get the official unveil of the S6 Edge+ and Note 5. Samsung also gave us official release dates for Samsung Pay and a sneak peek at the Gear S2 smartwatch. The OnePlus 2 went up for sale officially on Tuesday, but everyone in North America is waiting 2-3 weeks for their device to ship. Verizon and AT&T both have some new data plans that still don’t offer the same value as T-Mobile. Below is a quick look at everything we covered in Android this week, jump after the break for my commentary on everything that went down.
Android Stories for 8/10-8/16
- Before the phone went on sale OnePlus announced North American shipments of the OnePlus 2 would be delayed.
- Verizon announced the new Verizon Plan data bucks in S-M-L-XL sizes…now your data plan and t-shirt size can match!
- I took a quick look at Hangouts 4.0…I didn’t like it much…Google has since issued another update that makes it better.
- Motorola posted a September 3 availability date for the Moto X Pure Edition, but then quickly deleted the post.
- At the end of the Unpacked event, Samsung gave a preview of the Gear S2, full unveil at IFA on September 3.
- AT&T couldn’t stand Verizon stealing the spotlight, so they announced some changes to their Mobile Share Value plans.
- Onleaks and uSwitch offered a look at renders of the LG Nexus 5 (2015), The renders were generated from case schematics.
- Motorola accidentally (or purposefully) leaked the Moto 360 2nd gen on their Instagram, same design as leaks from March.
- OnePlus issued a Stagefright update for the OnePlus 2…useful for the 47 people that have the phone right now.
- Shane uncovered the nasty truth that Verizon’s S6 Edge+ and Note 5 won’t support Samsung Pay…long live Big Red!
- Onleaks and uSwitch brought us renders for the Huawei Nexus 6 (2015)-looks incredibly similar to the LG Nexus 5 (2015).
The Samsung event was a bit disappointing for me. Probably more of a result of the constant leaks of the S6 Edge+ and Note 5 than anything else. Both phones do have big omissions-no SD card slot, no removable battery, no IR blaster (why?), and both have smaller batteries than the Note 4 with the same screen size. Another thing that disappointed me was the inclusion of the same processor that was featured in the S6 and S6 Edge. The Note series has always featured a more powerful processor, not that I have any issues with the performance of the Exynos 7420. I did preorder one of each new phone, I’ll have a retail unboxing and impressions on my Youtube channel this week. The keyboard case is ridiculous, many who have tested it say it doesn’t even work. At $80 a pop, most will say no thanks to a physical keyboard in 2015. I’m excited for the Gear S2 and I think it is great that Samsung saved another big announcement for IFA. Hopefully the Gear S2 will work with Android phones not made by Samsung. If Samsung allows compatibility with any Android phone and gives the choice of Google Now over S-Voice, I’d be on board.
HighOnAndroid Facebook Page <--- If you like this post, please Like Our Facebook Page Here, thx!Want to contact me?
Add me on: