Yeah I know, that’s what she said. But seriously, this week was all about the great Galaxy Note 5 S-pen scandal of 2015. Referred to by many as Pengate or Penghazi, the S-Pen issues with the Note 5 dominated the Android news blogs and social media over the past week. What started out as a few complaints around Android forums turned into a huge blame game back and forth between Samsung and customers. On one hand, people are pretty stupid for sticking the S-pen in backwards. Even if you are in a dark alley at night, it’s pretty hard to make the mistake. I’ve spent many a night in dark alleys with my S-Pen over the past 4 years, and I’ve yet to stick it in backwards. But on the other hand, why didn’t Samsung just make a more narrow S-Pen channel so that this isn’t even an issue?
Amazingly, there was a lot of other news this week too, including tons of leaks of devices we expect at IFA. I wrote a nice IFA preview earlier today, which you should totally check out, so I’ll probably keep comments on these leaks a bit shorter than usual. Let’s jump right into everything we covered this week:
- We finally got a in-hand look at the Huawei Nexus, people were not too pleased about the camera “hump”
- Sony began teasing their IFA announcements with a Twitter post about a smartphone with greater focus.
- CNET posted a report on all the Android Wear devices expected at IFA from LG, Motorola, ASUS, and Huawei.
- We finally updated our list of Best HOA Phones for Root/Modification, the writer of this piece is very talented.
- Shane detailed an issue many of us are experiencing with the OnePlus 2-basically, we’re holding it wrong!
Some thoughts on this week’s big stories:
- IFA should be a ton of fun. I’ve been looking forward to new wearables, and especially the Huawei Watch for a long time. I’m still happy with my LG Urbane and Gear S, but I think wearables is a space with a lot of room for innovation-at least compared to phones.
- People were apparently pretty mad I wrote an article about the Apple iPhone event, even Max, but I think it’s important that we keep an eye on the competition-even if they aren’t doing much.
- I almost got my Huawei Watch preorder in before Amazon pulled it, but I was in the middle of giving a calculus lecture, damn day job!
- Earlier this week I received a Samsung Pay Beta invite and it is pretty sweet. Unlike Apple Pay I can use my phone at places that don’t have NFC in their terminals. So far I’ve used it on my Edge+, S6 Edge, and regular S6. Can’t use it on my Note 5 because Verizon likes to take features away from their customers.
- I might just buy a Blackberry Venice when they launch in November.
- I absolutely won’t buy the next HTC phone if it looks like the leaks we saw earlier this week.
- I’m down with the camera hump on the Huawei Nexus…OG Droid X style!
- Using the OnePlus 2 hasn’t been the best experience so far. USB C has been more annoying than exciting, and the phone just doesn’t wow me on any front. It is a good phone for $389, but I’m not sure it’s even the best in class. Be on the look out for the ZTE Axon Pro review this week on my Youtube channel.
- Remember kids, if you can’t stick it in correctly, keep your nib in its silo!
Til next week, stay HIGH on Android!
Join the HighOnAndroid VIP Fans List for free help from Max and discounts on Android accessories.